Historic station being wrecked and replaced by modern one
Davenport Station, which has stood since 1854, and served travellers, first to Lefroy and later to Barrie, Orillia, Gravenhurst, Huntsville, North Bay, Timmins and Cochrane, is to be dismantled. Its place will be taken beginning Sunday, Jan. 10 by the new Canadian National Railways, St. Clair Avenue Station, as announced today by W. A. Kingsland, General Manager, Central Region. Built originally for the Ontario, Simcoe, and Huron Railway Company over 75 years ago, the old wooden building has served successively the Northern Railway, the Grand Trunk and the Canadian National.
Most conveniently located on the St. Clair Avenue street car line, a block and a half west of Lansdowne Avenue, the new building can be easily reached from almost any of the north or northwest ends of the city. Sand-colored brick is the material chosen for the new structure, which is in keeping with modern railway architecture, with long, arched-top windows, and an extensive, well-lighted platform. Passengers enter by the upper level, containing ticket and telegraph offices, a large waiting-room and baggage room. The lower story is available for sotrage, as well as express and baggage.
When the subway was constructed over St. Clair Avenue, it became necessary to build the new station, as the grade leading to the overhead tracks renders starting a train from the old station difficult. As the present building is placed north of the subwayu, there is a slight down grade by the station platform, making a comparatively easy start possible.
Ref: Davenport, St. Clair Avenue.
Replaces old Davenport station
The new Canadian National Railways Station on St. Clair Avenue West, a block and a half west of Lansdowne, which affords a decided increase in convenience to travellers on the North Bay line living in the northwest and north ends of the city., It will supersede the old Davenport Station, which has stood for over 75 years.