March 1920, No. 265 Canadian Railway and Marine World (Toronto) Page 124, col. 2

Grand Trunk Railway construction, betterments, etc.

Work Done in 1919—The length of the G.T.R. maintained and operated under corporate control, and exclusive of lines under the United States Railroad Administration, during 1919 was 3,618.05 miles. On lines in Canada, 289 miles of new 85 lb. rail were laid during 1919, of which 121 miles were laid on lines east of Toronto and the balance west of there. Seventy-three miles of 100 lb. rail were laid, where there is very heavy and fast traffic on the main lines. Partly worn 80 lb. rail was laid to replace rail of lighter sections, on the more important branch lines, and 15 miles of partly worn 100 lb. rail were relaid on the St. Thomas Division, joint section between Fort Erie and Welland Jct., Ont. Approximately 250,000 cu. yd. of ballast were put under the track on Ontario Lines, west of Toronto, and about 310 miles on the Eastern Lines, east of Toronto, were lifted, surfaced and dressed with new ballast. During the year 2,287,000 cross ties were renewed, this quantity being about equally divided between the Eastern and Ontario Lines. The company bought and applied 296,000 rail anchors and about 234,000 tie plates for all lines in Canada.

At Gravenhurst, Ont., important work was done in connection with track changes, and in constructing a new brick and wood station, concrete platform, restaurant and freight shed, immediately adjacent to the main street and a short distance from Gull Lake summer resort. A mechanical coal chute has been practically completed at Muskoka Jct., about half a mile south of the new station at Gravenhurst. A coal chute was built and put into operation at Victoriaville, Que.

A shop for fabricating steel bridges was built at East Toronto. The locomotive house at York, near Toronto, which had been closed for a number of years, was repaired, remodelled and reopened.

A new yard was constructed at Port Colborne, Ont., containing 3 1/4 miles of track, to serve the Canada Cement Co., the Maple Leaf Milling Co., and the Dominion Government elevator. The locomotive house at this point was enlarged to take care of additional locomotives.

One mile of double track was laid through the yard at Welland Jct., Ont., and between that point and Fort Erie the embankment was strengthened by putting in 15,000 cu. yd. of filling. New 100 lb. rail was laid across the Niagara Falls steel arch, the floor system was strengthened and an entirely new deck put on it.

The building of concrete piers on the Narrows swing bridge at Atherley Jct., Ont., was taken in hand, piling was driven and coffer dams completed and, it is ready for cement work, preparatory to the construction of the draw span.

New ties were framed and placed on 6 spans of the Victoria Jubilee Bridge, and the planking on the roadway of this structure was renewed. A number of bridges were renewed.

A pumphouse, with electric pumps, was built at Richmond, Que. A 60,000 gal. water tank was built at Bowmanville, Ont. A 100,000 gal. water tank and extension to freight shed were built at Madawaska, Ont., were erected, this point being a district terminal for the 31st district between Ottawa and Depot Harbor. At the latter point an office building was erected.

The renewal of the ferry dock at Cobourg was completed. From this point a subsidiary company operates car ferry steamships to Rochester, N.Y.

A number of stations were extended at various points and stations were built at Mitchell, Palgrave, St. Agapit and Mille Roches. A heating system is being installed at Stuart St. station and offices at Hamilton, Ont. The track scales at Midland, Ont., were moved to Tiffin, and new scales were installed at Windsor, Ont., at a cost of about $7,600.

A great number of bridges, buildings, water tanks, etc., were painter, culverts renewed, single and double tool houses constructed, ties renewed on bridges, and numerous concrete crossing signs, whistle posts and section posts were built. In the track department, while it was possible to keep regular sections fairly well manned, there was more or less difficulty in obtaining labor for the extra gangs and it was necessary to pay very high rates for this class of labor. On the Eastern Lines there were from 1,500 to 2,000 men employed during the summer, doing extra work, such as lifting in new ballast, laying rail, applying tie plates and rail anchors, etc. In the bridge and building department there was a considerable shortage of mechanics, especially on lines west of Toronto.

The amount of money spent on maintenance and new works during 1919, greatly exceeded that of former years, partly due to the fact that there was a considerable amount of maintenance which it was absolutely necessary to defer during the war period.

Montréal Division Bridge Rebuilding.—The Board of Railway Commissioners has authorized the use of the bridges rebuilt recently across Little Trout Creek, mile 94.99, near Kingsey, District 3, Montréal Division, and has authorized the rebuilding of the bridge on Lot 27, s.w. Concession, St. Rogers, in St. Isadore Parish, Que.

Ottawa tracks.—The Ottawa Rotary Club discussed recently the G.T.R. cross town tracks in that city, and advocated a petition asking for their removal, or the separation of grades.

Bridge rebuilding east of Toronto.—The Board of Railway Commissioners has authorized the rebuilding of the bridge carrying the highway across the company's tracks between Lots 14 and 15, Broken Front Concession, East Whitby Tp., at mile 301.70, Belleville Subdivision, about 1.25 miles west of Oshawa, Ont., and has authorized the use of the bridges built recently at mile 10.30, Lot 10, Range 6, Markham Tp., Ont., at mile 15.88, Lot 21, Range 8, Markham Tp., and bridge 61 on line of Bethune St., Peterborough, Ont.

Highway bridge near Georgetown.—The Board of Railway Commissioners has authorized the rebuilding of the bridge carrying the highway over the company's tracks, at mile 29.62, district 15, Stratford Division, near Georgetown, Ont.

London Division.—A press report states that about $425,000 has been appropriated for betterments on the London Division to be done during this year. The work is reported to include the relaying of 85 miles of track between Paris and London, Ont., with 100 lb. steel rails; the 85 lb. rails at present in use to be relaid on other lines, the building of stations at Clandeboye, and Hawtrey, on the Port Dover branch, and the remodelling of stations. The question of the signal system to be adopted between London and Paris has not yet been announced, but the report states that an electric block system is favored.

The company is, according to a press report, prepared to go ahead with laying out of a reclamation yard at London, Ont., details of which were given in Canadian Railway and Marine World for Dec., 1919. The question of closing Wilson Ave., in connection with the carrying out the work is before the London City Council.

London and Sarnia ice houses.—A press report states that ice houses are being built at London and Sarnia, Ont., to store ice for the company's use, and that the ice is being cut by the company on Lake Simcoe, for the first time in several years. The building under construction in London will, it is stated, have a 1,400 ton capacity. (Jan., pg. 18).

Railways: G.T.Ry.