|Wednesday, September 26, 1900
|The Globe (Toronto)
|Page 2, col. 4
Cement works burned.
Property worth $60,000 at Marlbank destroyed.
Loss covered by insurance, and the works will be rebuilt—Blaze at London.
Special Despatch to The Globe.
Tweed, Sept. 25—The works of the Caledonian Portland Cement Company, located at Marlbank, about sixteen miles from here, were almost completely destroyed by fire this morning. The only portion of the plant left standing is the kiln house, which was built of stone, the rest of the property being of wood. The firs started at about 8 o'clock, caused by the spontaneous combustion of coal gas and spread with lighting rapidity, so that inside of an hour the mammoth works were in ashes. The loss on buildings and machinery is estimated at about $60,000, but it is fully covered by insurance. The machinery, which was destroyed, was of a very expensive kind, and includes two very powerful Goldie & McCullough engines, one of which was a 300-horsepower, valued at $5,000. The machinery in the kiln house was practically unhurt. The fire appliances were very inadequate, although the company had under consideration and partially underway a very complete system. The capacity of the plant was about five hundred barrels per day, and about 150 men were employed. Mr. F. G. B. Allan of Deseronto, Managing Director of the company, visited the scene today, and stated that the works would be rebuilt at once. They will be built of brick and stone, and it is expected that they will be in operation again in the course of about three months.