|Saturday, July 19, 1884||The New York Times (New York)||Page 3|
A new Canadian line
Toronto, Ontario, July 18.—An important step was taken to-day by the Directors of the Northern and Northwest Railway, who let the contract to construct and rail the new extension to the north. This new extension will run from Gravenhurst, in the Muskoka District, 113 miles, in a northerly and westerly direction to Callender [sic], where it will connect with the main line of the Canada [sic] Pacific Railway around the north shore of Lake Superior to Winnipeg. This will open up a new portion of Ontario and serve to place the Niagara Peninsula in direct communication with the rich timber and mineral deposits to the north of Lake Superior. The contractors are Messrs. Symmes, Dawson, Hendrie & Co., and they agree to grade, ballast, and construct the road and lay the rails before 1886. They will commence work at once.
Railways: C.P.Ry., N. & N.W.Ry.