|Thursday, March 17, 1932, Vol. 80, No. 3
|The Northern Advance (Barrie)
|Page 3, col. 5
Collingwood station is destroyed by fire
Early Saturday morning the Canadian National station at Collingwood was destroyed by fire. The blaze originated in the attic and despite the work of the firemen, spread. Within half an hour the roof fell in, carrying the fire to the waiting room and offices below. All the baggage and express was saved, as well as the records.
The building was erected about 1875 by the Northern Railway Co. of Canada and was constructed with solid brick walls and of attractive architectural design. The loss will be about $20,000. Temporary arrangements already have been made for carrying on the business of the railway and express company.
The fire is believed to have originated from faulty electric wiring, the furnace being intact, and no pipes were leading into the upper part of the building.