|January 1902, No. 47||The Railway and Shipping World (Toronto)||Page 3, col. 2|
Projected lines, surveys, construction, betterments, etc.
The Magnetawan River Ry. Co. has made an arrangement with the G.T.R. for the construction of the railway authorized by its act. (May, 1901, pg. 156.) The Co. has power to construct 2 miles of line from Burk's Falls, Ont., on the G.T.R., to the head of the navigable waters of the Magnetawan river, and has $10,000 bonus from Ontario, and $6,400 from the Dominion. It is reported that construction will be commenced in the spring, and it is expected that the line will be in operation during the summer. Press reports state that this is the first section of a G.T.R. line to Sault Ste. Marie, and that there is a charter for such a line in existence. In 1881 the Dominion Parliament incorporated the Northern, North-Western and Sault Ste. Marie Ry. to build a line from Gravenhurst, then the terminus of the Northern Ry., to a junction with the C.P.R. at Callander, and giving running powers over that Co.'s line to Whanipiti river, from whence power was given to build a line to Sault Ste. Marie, to bridge the river and make connection with U.S. lines. In 1884 the name of this Co. was altered to the Northern and Pacific Junction Ry. Co., and its powers somewhat amended, but the general route of lines authorized was not altered. Under these acts the line now operated by the G.T.R. from Gravenhurst to North Bay was constructed, and in 1894 the Ontario Legislature voted $7,5000 to the Northern and Pacific Junction Ry. to build this particular 2 miles of line. By an arrangement the G.T.R., which has acquired the right of way from Whanipiti to Sault Ste. Marie, handed over its powers to the C.P.R., which constructed the line from Sudbury to Sault Ste. Marie, and made the connections with U.S. lines. (Aug., pg. 231.)
Railways: C.P.Ry., G.T.Ry., N. & P.J.Ry., N.N.W. & S.S.M.Ry