|December 1920, No. 274||Canadian Railway and Marine World (Toronto)||Page 647, col. 2|
Canadian National Railways construction, betterments, etc.
Toronto to Parry Sound betterments.—Construction gangs between Toronto and Parry Sound, which have been engaged during the summer and autumn on betterments, are finishing up for the season. The work covered the putting in of concrete culverts, concrete abutments for permanent bridges, replacing temporary trestle structures; some new steel bridge superstructures; widening embankments and cuts; improving the drainage at the sides of the tracks; ballasting; enlarging existing buildings and putting up additional buildings. The ballasting has been done at a number of points, the track being raised and levelled up, a number of sags being taken out. A considerable mileage in all has been given a big coating of ballast, and at some points the track has been raised from 3 to 5 ft.
One of the larger bridge structures replaced is at the crossing of the Trent Valley Canal, where the old 120 ft. truss span, which was 28 ft. above water level, has been replaced by a 135 ft. through truss span 35 ft. above water level.
Surveys are reported to have been made at various points on the line between Beaverton and Washago, with a view to linking up the C.N.R. with the G.T.R., so as to do away with duplicate tracks, and provide for an interchange of traffic between the two lines. Some improvement along this line is reported to have been made in the vicinity of Orillia, and it is reported that further work is to be done which will have the effect of doing away with the C.N.R. stub line from Udney into Orillia. A connection between the two lines has been completed at Washago.
Stations: Beaverton, Beaverton East, Orillia, Udney, Washago