December 1920, No. 274 Canadian Railway and Marine World (Toronto) Page 647, col. 2

Canadian National Railways construction, betterments, etc.

 .. 

Toronto to Parry Sound betterments.—Construction gangs between Toronto and Parry Sound, which have been engaged during the summer and autumn on betterments, are finishing up for the season. The work covered the putting in of concrete culverts, concrete abutments for permanent bridges, replacing temporary trestle structures; some new steel bridge superstructures; widening embankments and cuts; improving the drainage at the sides of the tracks; ballasting; enlarging existing buildings and putting up additional buildings. The ballasting has been done at a number of points, the track being raised and levelled up, a number of sags being taken out. A considerable mileage in all has been given a big coating of ballast, and at some points the track has been raised from 3 to 5 ft.

One of the larger bridge structures replaced is at the crossing of the Trent Valley Canal, where the old 120 ft. truss span, which was 28 ft. above water level, has been replaced by a 135 ft. through truss span 35 ft. above water level.

Surveys are reported to have been made at various points on the line between Beaverton and Washago, with a view to linking up the C.N.R. with the G.T.R., so as to do away with duplicate tracks, and provide for an interchange of traffic between the two lines. Some improvement along this line is reported to have been made in the vicinity of Orillia, and it is reported that further work is to be done which will have the effect of doing away with the C.N.R. stub line from Udney into Orillia. A connection between the two lines has been completed at Washago.

Trestle fill near Parry Sound.—There has been completed on the line between Toronto and Capreol, Ont., a large trestle fill at mile 5.2 north of Parry Sound, the work on which was begun in 1918. The trestle, which was built in 1905, was 925 ft. long, with a maximum height of 60 ft. A 15 ft. concrete culvert was built to take care of the water, which required 1,539 yards of concrete, and a 15 ft. flat culvert under the roadway required 298 yards of concrete. The approximate quantity of material required to fill the trestle was 197,000 yards. The work was done by the Dominion Construction Co. under the superintendence of Resident Engineer McIlwain, of Parry Sound.

Railways: C.N.Rys.

Stations: Beaverton, Beaverton East, Orillia, Udney, Washago

|<<<<<12345678>>>>>|

Results