|December 1902, No. 58||The Railway and Shipping World (Toronto)||Page 405, col. 3|
Grand Trunk betterments, etc.
Hamilton freight yards.—It is proposed to construct a switch along Caroline st., and extending to the Copp foundry, on York st., for the accommodation of the west-end manufacturers.
In connection with the extension of the yards on Ferguson ave., for which the Co. has purchased a block of land between Robert and Barton streets, in line with the present yards, the city council is asked to permit the closing of Robert st. between Ferguson ave., about halfway to Elgin st., the Co. to pay for the land thereby acquired, so that it may be thrown into the yard area. The old freight shed is to be torn down and a new shed 40 ft. wide, and extending the whole length of the present yard and the acquired property, will be built if the required consent to the closing of the road is obtained. When the work on the yard is completed it is the intention of the Co. to transfer the whole freight business there, and to use the existing freight sheds on Strachan st. for storage purposes.