Order no. 31266
|Thursday, the 14th of
July, A.D. 1921
In the matter of the crossing of Yonge Street, at grade, by the Grand Trunk Railway, south of the station at Aurora, in the Province of Ontario; and the consideration of the question of the construction of a subway at the point of such crossing.
S. J. McLean
Asst. Chief Commissioner
J. G. Rutherford
Upon hearing the matter at the meetings of the Board held in Toronto, May 27th, 1921, the Department of Public Highways for Ontario, the Grand Trunk Railway Company, and the Toronto & York Radial Railway Company being represented at the hearing, and what was alleged; and upon the consent of the said parties, filed—
The Board orders as follows:
- That Yonge Street, at the said point of crossing at Aurora, in the Province of Ontario, be carried under the track of the Grand Trunk Railway Company by means of a subway as shown on the plan and profile, dated Toronto, November 23rd, 1920, on file with the Board under file No. 9457.207, which plan and profile is hereby approved.
- That the Grand Trunk Railway Company, at its own expense, construct the concrete abutments and the necessary steel and concrete superstructure; the Department of Public Highways for Ontario to pay to the Railway Company forty per cent of the cost of the maintenance and renewal of the said superstructure.
- That, as the said plans as amended provide only for a single track on the Railway Company's right of way, in case in the future an additional track is required, the expense of providing and maintaining the abutments and steel work for the same be adjusted and borne by such parties and in such proportions as may be ordered by the Board.
- That upon the structural work being completed, the said Department of Public Highways, at its own expense, make the necessary excavation for the subway, having a headroom of sixteen feet and a clear width of forty-two feet between faces of abutments.
- That the Department of Public Highways for Ontario construct and maintain the roadway and sidewalk through the said subway, and provide and maintain the necessary drainage therefor.
- That the Toronto & York Radial Railway Company move its own track, and do all work of every description ident to its track removal, including subgrading, at its own expense.
- That neither the Grand Trunk Railway Company nor the Toronto & York Radial Railway Company receive any compensation for any of their lands damaged, taken, or used in the course of the work.
- That the Department of Public Highways, at its own expense, assume and pay for all land damages other than those referred to in the preceding paragraph.
- That the Grand Trunk Railway Company permit the use of a temporary crossing over its lands to the west of the present crossing during the progress of the work, and also look after the roadway between its rails at the said point of crossing.
- That twenty-five per cent, not exceeding $15,000, of the total cost of the work herein provided for be paid out of "The Railway Grade Crossing Fund", the said sum and the contribution paid by the Toronto & York Radial Railway Company to be divided between the Grand Trunk Railway Company and the Department of Highways in proportion to their respective total expenditures on the said subway; but any expenditures by the said Department for land damages shall not be included in the said total expenditure.
- That the Toronto & York Radial Railway Company, at its own expense, move and relocate the Aurora interchange track authorized by the Order of the Board No. 25615, dated November 3rd, 1915.
- That the Toronto & York Radial Railway Company bear and pay twenty per cent of the total original cost of the subway and no more.
S. J. McLean
Asst. Chief Commissioner,
The Board of Railway Commissioners for Canada.