Order no. G.O. 218
|Monday, the 11th of
February, A.D. 1918
In the matter of the General Order of the Board No. 78, dated July l4, 1911, as amended by General Order No. 106, dated June 27, 1913, and Order No. 24803, dated March 16, 1916, prescribing the rules and instructions for the inspection and testing of locomotive boilers and their appurtenances, to be adopted by the railway companies subject to the jurisdiction of the Board.
Assistant Chief Commissioner
S. J. McLean
A. C. Boyce
Upon the report and recommendation of the Mechanical Expert of the Board, concurred in by its Chief Operating Officer ; and upon reading the submissions filed,—
It is ordered: That the said General Order No. 78 (Order No. 14115), dated July 14, 1911, be modified as follows, namely:—
- Rule 5. Flues to be removed.—All flues of boilers in service, except as otherwise provided, shall be removed at least once in every four years, and a thorough examination shall be made of the entire interior of the boiler. After flues are taken out, the inside of the boiler must have the scale removed and be thoroughly cleaned.
- Rule 11. Lagging to be removed.—The date for the removal of lagging for the purpose of inspecting the exterior of locomotive boilers, as provided by rule 11, except where indications of leaks exist, shall be advanced until December 31, 1918.
- Rules 16 and 17. Each time a hydrostatic test is applied the hammer test required by rules 16 and 17 shall be made while the boiler is under hydrostatic pressure, not less than the allowed working pressure, and proper notation of such test made on form No. 1.
- Rule 18. Method of testing flexible staybolts with caps.—All flexible staybolts having caps over the outer ends shall have the caps removed at least once every two years, and also whenever the Board's inspector or the railway company's inspector considers the removal desirable in order thoroughly to inspect the staybolts. The fire-box sheets should be examined carefully at least once a month, to detect any bulging or indications of broken staybolts.
- That the modifications herein provided for remain in effect until December 31, 1918.
Assistant Chief Commissioner,
The Board of Railway Commissioners for Canada.