Order no. G.O. 589
|Saturday, the 27th of
May, A.D. 1939
In the matter of rules to be complied with by municipalities and provinces in
carrying out works of grade separation authorized under Order of the
Assistant Chief Commissioner
F. N. Garceau
Deputy Chief Commissioner
J. A. Stoneman
G. A. Stone
File no. 11026.79
Upon the consents of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company and the
Canadian National Railways, filed; and upon the report and recommendation of
the Chief Engineer of the Board—
It is ordered: That the following rules be and they are hereby, prescribed in connection with the carrying out of works of grade separation authorized by the Board, namely:—
Structures Supporting Railway Tracks and Facilities
The Railway Company shall—
- Design the entire structure and prepare all plans necessary for the construction thereof, and supervise the construction.
- Design, install, and maintain all falsework which may be necessary for the temporary support of its tracks or other facilities during the construction of the work, and perform all work in connection with such changes to any of its facilities as may be necessary to permit the execution of the project and to protect its traffic.
- Invite tenders and award the contracts for the construction of the structure, subject to the approval of the province or municipality, as the case may be.
- Approve all shop drawings for fabricated structural steel or iron before their submission to the Board, and perform the necessary mill, shop, and field inspection in connection therewith.
- All work shall be carried out in accordance with the Railway Company's specifications.
Structures Carrying Highways Over Railway Companies' Tracks and Facilities
- The structure may be designed by the province or the municipality, and all plans and specifications submitted to the Railway Company for its approval; or, if agreed upon by the interested parties, it may be designed by the Railway Company and all plans and specifications submitted to the province or the municipality for its approval.
- The construction of the structure within the limits of the Railway Company's property shall be carried out to the satisfaction of the Railway Company. The Railway Company shall perform all work in connection with such changes to any of its facilities as may be necessary to permit the execution of the project and to protect its traffic.
- All work carried out on the Railway Company's property, which by its consent is performed by other than the Railway Company, must previously have the approval of and be carried out under the supervision of the Railway
- When any part of the structure is to be maintained by the Railway Company, such part of the structure shall be constructed in accordance with the Railway Company's specifications.
The Board of Transport Commissioners for Canada.