The "Branch Line to Tay" was opened by the Grand Trunk Railway (G.T.Ry.) on December 31, 1911 in order to relieve congestion on what would become the Midland Subdivision after the construction of an additional grain elevator at Tiffin.
During the G.T.Ry. era, the Wyebridge subdivision was part of the Penetang Subdivision, 14th District.
By September 29, 1930, the Canadian National Rys. was operating no regular trains over the Wyebridge Subdivision and applied for authority to abandon it on October 2, 1931. The application was quickly granted on October 21, 1931 after a short investigation on by the Board's Division Engineer, D. G. Kilburn, and Inspector, M. J. McCaul, and no objections from the municipalities.
The Northern Advance (Barrie) reported in February 1932 that the rails were being removed and suggested this would allow the dangerous intersection of Highway No. 93 to be remedied. By October 1932, the municipality was busy cutting through the embankment west the subway to divert the highway. As of July 2018, the concrete abutments of the subway still stand a short distance east of Highway No. 93 north of Subway Rd.
The wye at Tay was retained after the Canadian National Railways abandoned the Wyebridge Subdivision.
Rule 42 is applicable on this Subdivision.
Railway projects, etc., The Railway and Shipping World, No. 24 (March 1900), p. 77
G.T.R. betterments, construction, etc., The Railway and Shipping World, No. 78 (August 1904), p. 285
|1911-07-27||G.T.Ry. authorized to build Wyebridge cutoffBRC Order. 14458.|
G.T.R. betterments, construction, etc., The Railway and Marine World, March 1911, p. 217
|1911-10-03||G.T.Ry. authorized to open Wyebridge cutoffB.R.C. order 14910.|
|1911-10-10||G.T.Ry. authorized to open portion of Wyebridge cutoff; B.R.C. order 14910 rescindedB.R.C. order 15044.|
|1911-12-31||G.T.Ry. opens between Birch and Tay on the Penetang and Midland Subdivisions, respectivelyHopper-1962, p. TBD.|
|1923-01-31||G.T.Ry. becomes part of C.N.Rys.Bowers-1983, p. 162, Cooper-2001, p. 394.|
|1931-06-29/1931-09-27||C.N.Rys. operates Toronto-Midland passenger trains (nos. 53 and 54) via Wyebridge SubdivisionCNR.CR.NOD.33/34.|
|1931-10-02||C.N.Rys. applies to abandon Wyebridge SubdivisionB.R.C. File No. 38138.|
|1931-10-15||B.R.C inspects Wyebridge SubdivisionB.R.C. File No. 38138.|
|1931-10-21||B.R.C. recommends to Governor-in-Council for approval of C.N.Rys. application to abandon Wyebridge SubdivisionB.R.C. order 47547.|
|1931-11-12||Governor-in-Council approves C.N.Rys. application to abandon Wyebridge SubdivisionOrder-in-Council P.C. 2834.|
|1931-11-25||Wyebridge Subdivision appears in C.N.Rys. time tableCNR.CR.NOD.38.|
|1932-05-01||Wyebridge Subdivision absent from C.N.Rys. time tableCNR.CR.NOD.39.|
|n.d.||NAC / Col. RG30M Acc. 945103, Box 10||G.T.Ry.||Wye River cut-off.||Profile.|