||C.N.Rys. records the following carloads to and from Norwich as part of its Study of Unprofitable Lines.
NAC RG30 Vol. 10120 File 6340.29
- Inbound: 36
- Apples: Simcoe 9, Clinton 1, Forest 1, Mt. Brydges 2, Vittoria 1, Dutton 1, Thedford 2, Strathroy 1
- Asphalt: Sarnia 1
- Ammonia: Hamilton 1
- Broom Corn: U.S. Points 24
- Broom Handles: Tweed 1, Orillia 4
- Barley: Goderich 1, Sarnia 3, Pt. Colborne 1
- Briquettes: Lykens PA 4
- Barrels: Sarnia 1, Montréal 3, London 1, Windsor 2
- Coal: Erieau 10, Ribb AB 1, Pt. Colborne 11, London 1, U.S. Points 105
- Corn: London 1, Toronto 5, Wildwood PA 1, Halifax 1
- Cyanide: Niagara Falls 2
- Cattle: Toronto 1
- Feed: Woodstock 3
- Fertilizer: U.S. Points 4, Kitchener 1, Hamilton 3, Chatham 1
- Gasoline: Sarnia 27
- Hardware: Toronto 1
- Horses: Simcoe 1, Grenville 1
- Household Goods: Kingsville 1
- Machinery: Montréal 1, Woodstock 19, Boston 1
- Milk: Ingersoll 9
- Manure: Wichita KS 1
- Manure Salts: Locust Point MD 1
- Oil: Sarnia 4
- Oyster Shell: U.S. Points 2
- Oats: Goderich 1
- Phosphate Rock: Black Rock 12
- Poles: Sherwood 1, Echo Bay 1, Redwater 2, Cobalt 1, Foleyet 1
- Potatoes: Woodstock 1
- Potash: Locust Summit MD 1
- Posts: Allenford 1
- Stone: Dundas 25, Ingersoll 7
- Sugar: Wallaceburg 2, Chatham 2
- Salt: Sarnia 2, Walkerville 3
- Sulphate: Hamilton 3
- Soda: Canton 2
- Shingles: Vancouver 1
- Wire: Brockville 1
- Outbound: 85
- Apples: Brantford 1, Ottawa 2
- Brooms: Winnipeg 7, Montréal 6, Sorel 3
- Fertilizer: Winona 2, Brantford 2, Sarnia 1, Jordan 2, Port Rowan 2, Gowanstown 1, Eden 2, St. Catherines 2, Vittoria 1, Thornton 1
- Livestock: Hanmer 2, Toronto 2, Montréal 2
- Lumber: Toronto 2, Oshawa 6
- Milk: Montréal 35, Toronto 20, Ottawa 5, Winnipeg 7, Vancouver 5, Hamilton 5, Windsor 3, Ingersoll 8, Edmonton 1, Saskatoon 2, Lindsay 1, Québec 1
- Vinegar: Charolettetown 1, Sarnia 1, Montréal 6, Winnipeg 7, Owen Sound 3
NAC RG30 Vol. 10120 File 6340.29
Norwich Norwich is located one mile from Norwich Junction, and latter station is served by wayfreight service, Brantford to Tillsonburg, and presume said station would not be affected as very valuable high-class traffic is received and forwarded. Norwich is practically the distributing centre for the immediate vicinity, and some well established plants are operated. Following are the firms or industries located at Norwich with commodities handled:
|Imperial Oil Limited
||Gasoline and oil ex Sarnia, Hamilton.
|Canada Vinegar Company
||Vinegar, outbound to Western Canada.
|West, Taylor & Bickle Co.
||Brooms outbound, Broom corn inbound.
||Outbound canned goods to Northern Ontario, Canadian Northwest and Eastern Canada. Served by private siding.
|Norwich Farmers' Cooperative
||Inbound fertilizer ex Hamilton, Ingersoll; coal, coke ex Hamilton, Black Rock, Detroit; feeds ex Toronto, Served by private siding.
Forwarded tonnage as follows:
We can expect violent protest from industries at Norwich if such station was abandoned; however, the section of line, Woodstock South to Town limits of Norwich is not of sufficient importance to warrant continuation of train service, but as previously mentioned, this section is part of the through Otterville Subdivision Stratford to Port Dover, and in any thought of abandonment, this section could not be removed without breaking the through connection which would involve a general revision of the entire branch service.
There is no industrial development in this section, and highway service could be established in the serving of Burgessville and Currie, either from Woodstock or Norwich; distance Burgessville to Norwich 3.6 miles and Burgessville to Woodstock 9.2 miles. Some thought would have to be given to the handling of coal and possibly lumber, however, the balance of the commodities could be handled by a transport.
We have lost extensively at Norwich to motor truck competition; vinegar to the extent of one hundred cars per annum is being trucked to wholesale houses in Ontario as well as the apples inbound for the manufacture of vinegar. We also lose to quite an extent in condensed milk from Bordens Limited plant, canned goods to Toronto, Hamilton, etc..