Page 1

Storm brings death, delay and darkness.

Twenty-four hours' battering by rain and gale-force winds left a huge slice of Southwestern Ontario in a state of havoc last night, and hour by hour the picture of damage and desturction grew grimmer.

Even before the midnight deadline set for Hurricane Hazel's onslaught, millions of dollars' damage had been caused to farms, home, stores, railway tracks, bridges and highways.

... All trains between Toronto and points up to North Bay were at a standstill.

Deep washouts were reported in at least eight areas. In the middle of two washouts between Barrie, and North Bay, a trainload of cattle was marooned. Passengers and freight tains were signalled to a halt to avoid weakened sections of track.

Train rolls over, 5 hurt.

Southampton, Oct. 16.—A four car CNR train toppled off rain-weakened tracks here early today crushing the fireman in the locomotive cab and injuring four passengers aboard.

It took police and railmen an hour to cut the fireman out from the wreckage with acetylene torches. he was taken in critical condition to Saugeen Memorial Hospital here.

His name, and the names of two other men and two women admitted to hospital, were not known earlier today.

The train [No. 329], a mixed passenger and freight service, was bound for Southampton from Palmerston.

The track gave way under the locomotive just as it reached the outskirts of this resort town 30 miles west of Owen Sound.

The engine, tender, one passenger car and the mail car were wrecked.

Ref: Southampton

Page 2

Trains cancelled.

CNR trains to Northern Ontario were cancelled as washouts were reported at several points on the railroad between Toronto and North Bay. Sleeping car passengers spent the night in their berths in the Toronto yard. It was expected service would be resumed today.

One train which left at 6 p.m. for North Bay and points beyond got as far as the St. Clair Ave. station in the city before being halted and recalled. Other runs cancelled were the Continental Limited, the 11:30 p.m. train to North Bay, and the 9:30 p.m. run to Capreol.

The Toronto-Midland train [No. 45], which left the city at 5:50 p.m. got as far as Aurora where it was halted by a washout ahead, and before it could be returned to Toronto it was trapped by another washout behind.

CNR and CPR officials announced at 11 p.m. that all trains to the north, including continental passenger trains for Vancouver, would not run until at 7 a.m. today.

Passenger trains were being made in Union Station and loud speaker announcements informed passengers they would be permitted to board their cars and sleep on them overnight. CNR officials confirmed that at least two freight trains, one of them loaded with cattle, were trapped on the tracks between North Bay and Barrie by washouts.

Ref: Aurora

Truck fails in portage.

... A truck, loaded with hay, overturned while attempting to ford a four-foot lake under the No. 11 Highway subway south of Aurora. ...

Ref: Newmarket M28.46

Page 5

Crew, 85 passengers safe as train hits washout in track.

Pair see gap, jump from cab.

Markham, Oct. 15.—"We both saw the hole in the tracks ahead of use. We pulled the air brakes and jumped."

CNR Engineer Ted Barnett counted himself lucky to be alive tonight after the locomotive and express car of his passenger train [No. 94] bound from Toronto to Peterborough was derailed in a washout a mile north of here.

Three passenger cars containing 85 commuters remained on the track. Most of the passengers marooned on a black sea of flooded culvert, huddled down to spend the night before equipment could be brought to guide them to Markham.

Engineer Barnett and Fireman F. Coffie landed in deep water that filled the culvert near No. 48 Highway, and swam to safety. They missed death by inches when the locmotive crashed beside them. Both suffered bruises and shock.

The conductor, Percy Cottam, thought the two men were killed in the derailment. "I couldn't get across the culvert to where they landed." he said.

It was another engineer, T. Sinclair, who was travelling on his day off, who jumped from the passenger car, grabbed a latern, and ran, staggered and crawled half a mile in the storm before he was picked up by a motorist on the highway.

Later, Markham station agent Bob Davidson sweated feverishly for half an hour trying to get through to Scarboro to warn the station there of the washout and of a second at Unionville.

Meanwhile, Markham learned of the accident and responded. Townsmen carried clothing and food along the wasjed-out track to where the 85 commuters waited in the coaches.

Some were able to accept the hospitality of the town, where two restaurants served coffee and sandwiches. The others, ill-equipped for the trip, remained for the night.

Baggageman R. Callahan saved his own life by scrambling out the door while his car was slowly dipping into the culvert.

Passengers said they felt only a slight jolt and then air brakes took hold.

Late tonight supplies of food were still being brought by foot to where the 85, who boarded a train for home at 5 p.m., will spend the next nine hours.

Ref: Markham