|Station:||Hawkestone, a.k.a. Hodge's LandingCommunity was referred to as Hodge's Landing but before the railway.|
|Symbols:||...A water station through 1931-09-27CNR.CR.NOD.37, p. 3.|
|Train Order:||DNTrain Order history:
|Sidings:||39 (M77.86 to M78.30)Sidings history:
|Other Tracks:||...Other Tracks history:
(Simcoe County, Medonte Township)
Derail is located 249 feet South of North switch.
No. 46 stop on flag at Hawkestone Mondays only.
Refer to Newmarket M077.88 for information on the water tank.
|1871-11-27||N.Ry. of C. begins regular service to OrilliaThe Globe (Toronto), November 25, 1871, p. 3.|
|1871||N.E.Ry. builds stationMcEwen states that the station was moved to the south side of the tracks when the siding was constructedMcEwen-1987, pp. 265-266. It appears that the first station became the freight shed after the new station was constructed..|
|1873||N.E.Ry. builds 12'×30'×11' wood frame, shingle roof
oil house and closetat M77.8, to which a subsequent 7'×17'×7' addition was constructedGTR.ND.1907, p. 158.
|1873||N.E.Ry. builds 12'×14'×8' wood frame, shingle roof
section tool houseat M78.4GTR.ND.1907, p. 158.
|1892||G.T.Ry. builds 25'×30'-6×11'-5" wooden frame, shingle roof
agent's dwellingon sill foundation at M77.8, to which subsequent 14'×31'×8' and 12'×14'×8' (closet) additions are madeGTR.ND.1907, p. 158.
|1900||G.T.Ry. remodels 31'×40'×15' wood frame, shingle roof
stationon sill foundation, probably adding operator's bay windowGTR.ND.1907, p. 158.
|1905||G.T.Ry. constructs two (2) 24'×37', double chute stockyardsGTR.ND.1907, p. 158.|
|1917-03-12||G.T.Ry. train derails in front of Hawkestone stationThe Barrie Examiner and Saturday Morning, 1917-03-15, pg. 12, 3; an order granting the original application was drafted 1934-07-24 but never issued.|
|1934-06-21||C.N.Rys. applies to remove agentB.R.C. File No. 4205.1044.|
|1934-12-20||The Northern Advance reports that station agent McCuish is moving from Hawkestone to Cookstown; Needham has been relieving agent for past weekThe Northern Advance (Barrie), Hawkestone, December 20, 1934, Vol. 87, No. 42, pg. 4, col. 4.|
|1936-02-02||C.N.Rys. renews application to remove agentB.R.C. File No. 4205.1044; an order granting the original application was drafted 1934-07-24 but never issued.|
|1936-03-19||C.N.Rys. authorized to remove agent subject to appointment of caretaker
to see that the station building is kept clean and, when necessary, heated and lighted for the accommodation of passengers on the arrival and depature of trains, and to take care of L.C.L. freight and express shipmentsB.R.C. 52910.
|1936-04c||C.N.Rys. removes agent at Hawkestone; Ernie Berry appointed caretakerThe Northern Advance, Allandale, Apr. 9, 1936, pg. 5, col. 3; The Northern Advance, Hawkestone, Apr. 23, 1936, pg. 4, col. 4.|
|1964-04-26||Appears in PTTCNR.A.195, Table 55.|
authorized to remove the caretaker and station buildingB.T.C order114730.
|1964-10-25||Hawkestone absent from C.N.Rys. system timetablesCNR.A.196, Table 60.|
|1967-10-29||Hawkestone appears in C.N.Rys. timetableCNR.GLR.NOA.46.|
|1968-04-28||Hawkestone absent from C.N.Rys. timetableCNR.GLR.NOA.47McEwen states that the siding was removed in 1969McEwen-1987, p. 266..|
|1969c||C.N.Rys. demolishes stationThis is at odds with McEwenMcEwen-1987, pp. 265-266 but conversations with cottagers indicate that the station was still there as late as 1969William Logan..|
|1996-09-21||Last VIA train — No. 1, the
Canadian— operates through HawkestoneWilliam Logan.
|1996-10-15||C.N.Rys. lifts rails through HawkestoneWilliam Logan.|
Oro-Medonte History Association
|Looking east from (future) Oro Line 11 towards freight shedA ca. 1898 drawingNAC NMC 198809 shows a
station house(approx. 40'×110') and
cattle pen(approx. 24'×37') on the north side of the tracks but no freight shed is listed in the 1907 G.T.Ry. B&B inventoryGTR.ND.1907, p. 158 (two 24'×37'
stockyardsare listed). The shed platform appears as a restricted clearance in C.N.Rys. time tables until ca. 1930CNR.CR.NOD.33, p. 4 (the cattle pens until ca. 1933CNR.CR.NOD.44, p. 4).
A 40'×110' combination station seems large for a community like Hawkestone but perhaps it was required because no freight handling facilities were provided at Shanty Bay (Gowan) or Oro, a large volume of grain traffic was being handled or a combination of both. Assuming 10" or 12" board and batten spacing the freight shed in the photograph is 30' or 36' wide, respectively. By way of comparison, other freight sheds on the Newmarket Subdivision were:
An earlier drawing NAC NMC 198807 shows an approx. 38'×73'
Oro-Medonte History Association
|Station in G.T.Ry. era.
Northern Ontario Railroad Museum
|East (time table north) elevation of G.T.Ry. station.|
|1946-06-27||Image Not Available
|1:20,0000 scale aerial photograph of Hawkestone.|
Herbert H. Harwood Jr. photo, Ian Wilson collection
|Just fifteen days from its last run, N-2-b Consolidation 2476 leading the thrice-weekly northbound South Parry way freight approaches Hawkestone station; a Train Order Office until 1955.
|n.d.||NAC / NMC 198807||T.S. & M.Jct.Ry.||Station grounds.||1"=100' plan showing two 1000' sidings on either side of the main track ending in 3-way (stub) switches. A 40'×75' combination station is shown 250' (time table) north and west of Oro Line 11|
|1898-10-10||NAC / NMC 198809||G.T.Ry.||Track plan.||1"=50' plan showing one 1000' siding on the (time table) west side of the main track. A 40'×110'
station houseand 24'×37'
cattle penare located 250' north of Oro Line 11 and west of siding with 160' platform between siding and main track. The ca. 1892
Agent's Dwelling, ca. 1873
Section Tool Houseand ca. 1896
Pumphouseare also shown. The water tower is located east of the main track approximately 165' north of Oro Line 11.
|1900c||McEwen-1987, p. 270||n.a.||Sketch of Village of Hawkestone||Shows depot located (time table) north of Oro Line 11 and east of main track.|
|1941-12-31||J.P. Smith||C.N.Rys.||Operating Diagram||The C.N.Rys. Operating Diagram shows south siding length as 749'. The location of the bridge, pump house, water tank, tool shed and roads have been taken from the ca. 1948 C.N.Rys. Property Plan.|
|1949-12-31||J.P. Smith||C.N.Rys.||Operating Diagram||It is not known if the pump house was still present at this time.|
|1947-08||Wilson-2007, p. 140||C.N.Rys.||Track plan.|
|1953-12-31||J.P. Smith||C.N.Rys.||Operating Diagram|
|1958c||J.P. Smith||C.N.Rys.||Second depot.||HO Scale|